I planned to make Banana caramel cupcakes since I pinned this gorgeous recipe on Pinterest a week ago, it turned out I only managed to bake them last night.
And last night I made the caramel sauce too which I wanted to use today to decorate the banana cupcakes… And of course I had to taste it.. then I tasted it again…another teaspoon…just a bit more.. it’s soooo YUMMMYYY!!!! I didn’t even know it was so easy to make!
I actually wish I poured some more on the cupcakes but with the fear to make them too sweet I drizzled just a bit on the top of the Swiss meringue buttercream (which by the way today got me a bit frustrated!). Next time I will be more generous!
As I mentioned in my previous post, Swiss meringue buttercream is my favourite but this time it took me aaaaaaages to make it! First it was too runny so I put it in the fridge for 10 minutes, then it looked like scrambled eggs (which I know it’s kind of normal but frustrating) so as suggested by the recipe I put 1/3 of the buttercream in the microwave for 10 second and add it again to the rest. Still it did NOT WANT to fluff up like it should!
But because when I want something I can persevere, I kept mixing it and mixing it and eventually it came out beautifully smooth and silky! You need to trust Swiss meringue buttercream, promise it’d never let you down.
I then used a big star tip to pipe my buttercream on the banana cupcakes
And then I drizzled the lovely caramel sauce
To decorate these cupcakes I believe you can use any buttercream, I tend to go for the swiss meringue one because it’s less sweet than a normal buttercream and the texture is amazing.
For this recipe you will need:
- 225g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 110g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas (mashed up)
- 55ml milk, or buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 115g caster sugar
- First of all you should remember to take the butter out of the fridge on time as it needs to be at room temperature ( I ALWAYS forget this!) and preheat your oven at 190 degrees (did I tell you I’m getting a new oven next week yeah!).
- Then I like to prepare my dry ingredients so I sift them in a large bowl and mix them all together.
- I start beating the butter with the sugar until is fluffy and then add one egg at the time along with the vanilla extract.
- Then I alternate a bit of buttermilk with a bit of dry ingredients and the banana mixture until you finish them all.
- I fill the cupcake cases 1/2 full and bake them for around 20 minutes or until you see a skewer coming out clean
TIP: until few months ago I didn’t even know what buttermilk was so I read a bit online and it’s actually quite easy to make. Just add a tablespoon of white vinegar (or lemon juice) to a cup of milk (240ml), let it sit for 10 minutes et voila’.
To make the caramel sauce you would need: